Yes, Christmas 2021 has come and gone. The tree ornaments and lights are boxed up and stored until next year. But we still have a few pieces of my favorite chocolate sitting around. And even though I’ve started my diet, I allow myself one or two, just to brighten up another dull January day.
We have to be careful where we set the candy bowl. A few nights before Christmas, Buddy gave us a scare. When it was time to turn in for the night, I realized Buddy wasn’t in the living room. I called his name and he wandered out of the spare bedroom.
I checked the bedroom and discovered a pile of chewed up foil wrappers on the floor. Buddy had gotten into the one bag of chocolate I’d purchased earlier that day. The bag was labeled “Lumps of Coal.” I thought I would put one piece in each of my loved ones stockings as a joke. Now the joke was on me.
Chocolate is toxic to dogs. The hour was late, and we did not want to make a trip to the local emergency vet clinic. So Herb accessed information about dogs and chocolate on the internet. He found a chart which listed dog weights and how much chocolate they could eat and still live. Buddy weighs twenty pounds and he would need to eat one pound of chocolate before he would be seriously affected. We also learned dark chocolate is more toxic to dogs than milk chocolate.
I hurried back to the bedroom and looked at the paper label from the bag. “We’re in luck!” I called out. “The candy contained more peanut butter than milk chocolate and the weight of the package was only three ounces.”
Buddy usually sleeps in his crate, but that night we carried it into our bedroom and so he could sleep near us. I’m sure he felt like he had won the lottery that night. In the morning he was fine.
The moral of the story…. “life happens and chocolate helps” only applies to people. On that note, I think I’ll have a piece of chocolate.